Re: [opensuse] Running X Programs Without HOME Set
  • From: Yusuf Caglar AKYUZ <caglarakyuz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:39:34 +0200

Anders Johansson wrote:
On Friday 23 January 2009 14:13:22 Yusuf Caglar AKYUZ wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to run X applications without $HOME is set in the
environment.

Why would you want to do that?

I'm using Openembedded(OE) and bitbake for cross-compiling. However, OE
clears all the env including HOME before calling any scripts.

export XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
unset HOME

Thank you very much, this does the trick.

I think you will have problems running KDE programs though, since they expect
to find a KDE_HOME somewhere, and if HOME isn't set, they will try to use
/.kde
(or /.kde4), which is unlikely to work.

Ok, then I'll choose gnome counterparts of KDE programs for utils.

Thanks for the quick help,
Caglar