Re: [opensuse] Should I go 64-bit?
  • From: David Bolt <bcrafhfr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:44:14 +0000
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:-

On Thursday January 22 2009, David Bolt wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, James Knott wrote:-

Fred A. Miller wrote:
Editing LARGE pics. in Gimp will give you an idea of how much
better a 64-bit release is over 32-it. There are other examples,
but your logic is sound.....use it!

Fred

And of course, you can work on really large files with vi. ;-)

There's a thought...

<warfare type="religeous" catalyst="preferred_editor">
Does it also mean that Emacs won't be constantly swapping?
</warfare>

What it does mean, of course, is that for any given hardware and mix of
applications, swapping will be _more_ likely, since all 64-bit code and
data are substantially larger than their 32-bit counterparts.

The code itself may be bigger but, looking at the sizes of applications
in /bin on both a 32bit and 64bit system, and the libraries in /lib abd
/lib64, I wouldn't say the sizes are anything more than about 10%
bigger. So, yes, you're likely to want about 10% more memory[0] on a
64bit system than on a 32bit system to be able to run the exact same
applications without a need for swap.

As for the data, why would it be "substantially" larger on a 64bit
system? Pointers are going to be bigger on the 64bit system, as are
variables of type "long", since these are 64bit, but those of type
"int", and smaller, still occupy the same sizes in both the 32bit and
64bit OSes.

Unfortunately, I really can't compare like with like. While I have two
10.3 systems which have the same memory and are running 64bit and 32bit
OSes, they have quite different things running on them. The 32bit system
is running my web server, has a few minor things that I occasionally
connect remotely to use, but is mostly left alone. The 64bit system has
quite a heavy load due to the number of desktop applications in use, and
could actually do with a substantial amount of memory adding to it[1].

My 11.0 systems are also wildly different, the 64bit system has 2GB,
runs my database server and some other stuff, and is presently using
1.5GB with 500MB caches and buffers, and 1.4MB swap use. The 32bit
system does virtually nothing but the occasional compilation run, has
256MB of which 100MB is in use, 150MB used for buffers and cache, and is
using 38MB of swap.

[0] an extra 200MB for a 2GB system, 400MB for a 4GB system, etc.

[1] at the present time, it has 2GB of memory and is using about 1.8GB
of swap. A very large part of that usage is due to the eleven separate
instances of Konqueror running, so that when one decides to segfault and
crash, the others remain unaffected.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
| openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b |