Re: [opensuse] What's with my wireless
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:33:05 -0800
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

My girlfriend says Mercury is retrograde, so I can't expect technical things
to work properly. I prefer to think that this is not just bad Juju, but that
something can be done to explain and resolve my problems.

Basically, I have two systems I've been reinstalling. Both have wireless
network hardware, in both cases the hardware is "recognized" to a greater or
lesser extent. Both systems have run successfully, and had full wireless
connectivity using the current hardware. However, now I find that if I
install 11.0 on these systems, the cards are recognized, but don't scan. That
is the NMApplet shows the wireless interface grayed out, and does not list
any networks. Also, iwlist scan says there's nothing there (I know that's not
true, as I'm writing this on another laptop that is using one of those access
points :)

It doesn't seem to matter if I install and don't do the patches, (there's a
wired connection available too) or if I let it do the patches.

This behavior basically "can't happen"

What can I do? What debug information can I get to help track this down?

TIA
Simon

You need to find out what chipset your wireless uses, and make sure
that it is supported by Linux, either
directly or by use of some other means.

You may have to download binary drivers for some wifi cards and have
those drivers installed in the
proper place.

Begin by researching the chipset (run as root lspci ) and post your
chipset here, and then folks
knowledgeable about those specific wireless adaptors can help.