[opensuse] What's with my wireless
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:48:01 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

My girlfriend says Mercury is retrograde, so I can't expect technical things to
work properly. I prefer to think that this is not just bad Juju, but that
something can be done to explain and resolve my problems.

Basically, I have two systems I've been reinstalling. Both have wireless
network hardware, in both cases the hardware is "recognized" to a greater or
lesser extent. Both systems have run successfully, and had full wireless
connectivity using the current hardware. However, now I find that if I install
11.0 on these systems, the cards are recognized, but don't scan. That is the
NMApplet shows the wireless interface grayed out, and does not list any
networks. Also, iwlist scan says there's nothing there (I know that's not true,
as I'm writing this on another laptop that is using one of those access points
:)

It doesn't seem to matter if I install and don't do the patches, (there's a
wired connection available too) or if I let it do the patches.

This behavior basically "can't happen"

What can I do? What debug information can I get to help track this down?

TIA
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a
man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz