Re: [opensuse] Should I go 64-bit?
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 03:47:53 -0500
David Bolt wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:-

<snip>

The question is, in fact, whether there's any reason to use a 64-bit OS.
Do you have even one application that requires the address space
afforded by the x86_64 architecture?

If not, don't do it.

I keep seeing this advice given, but have yet to see a real reason for
it. Java and Flash work on my 10.3, 11.0 and 11.1 64bit systems, so
that's not an issue. I can watch and listen to a variety of media, so
it's not that. I haven't noticed any difference in speed between 32bit
and 64bit systems on the same hardware.

So, given that I don't have a problem yet you're saying not to do it,
I'm really curious as to just what issue(s) you found while running a
64bit OS?

Editing LARGE pics. in Gimp will give you an idea of how much better a
64-bit release is over 32-it. There are other examples, but your logic
is sound.....use it!

Fred

--
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed
regularly -- and for the same reason."