Re: [opensuse] Should I go 64-bit?
  • From: Aditya Bhiday <aditya.bhiday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:13:53 +0530
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Fred A. Miller <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Adam Sailer wrote:
I believe my hardware supports 64-bit, but what software issues can I expect
to run into by installing 11.1 64-bit?

Driver problems? Java problems?

The only problems I've had, is some OEMs like Epson who are too ignorant
to provide 64-bit drivers for all hardware. SOME of their scanners are
an example of this.....one reason I now recommend HP scanners and
printers ONLY. Other than that, you probably won't have any problems but
SHOULD have some performance improvements.

Fred

--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
enough to take everything you have.

I tried openSUSE 64 bit for the first time, and so far I havent come
across any issues except for choosing between the 32 bit and 64 bit
versions of software :)

Cheers,
Aditya