Re: [opensuse] My first 'Update' 10.3-11.0 - Won't boot - damn disk-by-id problem - help?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:59:41 -0800
On Wednesday January 21 2009, David C. Rankin wrote:
List,

After only doing fresh installs since 8.0, I tried my first 'Update'
on a 10.3 box going to 11.0. Looks like the update succeeded, but it
left me unable to boot.

Grub is installed on the right partition, but after booting 11.0, it
gets to the place where it is:

waiting on required device /dev/long-string-of-id-stuff-part2

and then bombs. '/' is /dev/sda2, '/home' is /dev/sda3 with swap on
sda1.

I experienced something very much like this when I installed a clean
11.1 using partitions entirely separate from those of the 10.0
installation. And while the 11.1 would boot fine, the 10.0 boot entry
it put in the boot menu failed in the same way you describe.

The problem has to do with a discrepancy between the way the old system
assigned drives to /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc.

I managed, by using the rescue boot, to modify the menu.lst file of the
older installation (10.0, in my case) into a state in which it would
boot (which took a few tries, by the way). But I have to admit it was
half staring at the correspondence between the /dev/sdX names in the
two systems and what I recognized by partition complement and disk
sizes to be my various hard drives (four in all).

What you have to think about is that the menu.lst of all the systems
presented in the boot menu (not, obviously, the DVD one, but rather the
local hard-drive one) is interpreted by the GRUB of the new system (the
one whose boot loader is in control when you make menu selections
before initiating a boot process) and its device assignment, not those
of the old system.

So I can't give you an algorithm or analytic means to resolve your
impasse, only that it can be accomplished by "realigning" the device
designations used in the old system's menu.lst file.

David C. Rankin

Randall Schulz