[opensuse] Offline Repository for openSUSE
  • From: Aditya Bhiday <aditya.bhiday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:31:42 +0530
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Wolfgang Rosenauer
<wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Aditya Bhiday schrieb:

I am a student from BITS Pilani Goa Campus in India. We have an
appreciable number of openSUSE users in our campus. However, due to
limited bandwidth, it is very difficult for us to download packages
and updates from the internet. Hence, I would like to know if there is
a way to host a local repository in our campus.

For Ubuntu, we had ordered a DVD set containing all the Ubuntu
repositories. We have hosted the content of these DVDs on a local
server, and the server updates its packages from the internet
automatically. Is something similar possible to do for SUSE too?

please check if
http://en.opensuse.org/Network_Installation_Source
suits your requirements.
It's not completely up to date but can give you some hints for the
beginning.
It's also possible to mirror
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/ to your network.
The packages there shouldn't change so no update mechanism needed.

For the online updates you would need to mirror
http://download.opensuse.org/update/ and keep it current by some
automatic updating using one of several methods.

That was the rough overview. I'm pretty sure others will come up with
more details as I can't find recent documents explaining them offhand.

Wolfgang

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

We already have the iso images, and have no problem in the
installation of the original system.

Mirroring http://download.opensuse.org/update/ is a good idea,
however, since the repo is very large and I am not well acquainted
with how to mirror it, I would appreciate a detailed guide to do it. I
know that wget will be a good idea, but if I get the arguments of it
wrong, it will take long to redo the whole repo until I get it right.
Hence it will be great if somebody can help me with this.

Also, once I download the whole repo, keeping it up to date without
downloading the whole thing again will be another challenge for me.

One approach I tried was to cache all the rpm files that I downloaded,
and tried to make a repo using the createrepo utility. However due to
some error, I was not able to do that successfully.

Any ideas?