Re: [opensuse] a proprietary dvd don't play with xine, but OK with vlc
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:50:59 +1100
Tamas Sarga wrote:
M. Skiba wrote:
Am Dienstag, 20. Januar 2009 22:19:08 schrieb Tamas Sarga:
I borrowed the Batman Dark Knight dvd.
We don't wanna know where you got it from, you just have it :-)

It is the original official dvd borrowed from one of my friends for
private usage :) Really.

I tried to play it with kaffeine, than xine. It starts to use all
of the
physical RAM then the swap space, not for caching, but the application.
And nothing happened, there isn't player window or anything. I had to
kill the app.
With xine it is OK.
With xine or with vlc?

Oh my god, I'm crazy, so it is OK with vlc.

My problem is that I'd like to fill a bug report, but I'm absolutely
clueless, what should I write into. I use Kaffeine usually and I've
never got such problem with it. In addition I have to get the dvd back
tomorrow, so I can't debug it further.
You could open a bug report (but don't forget to state your versions
(numbers) ). I.e. do you use the normal kaffeine package from
openSUSE or the
packman version, libdvdcss installed or not etc.

I have the packman version of kaffeine, xine and libdvdcss, and I have
vlc from the vlc repo.

Use k9copy - set to DVD size 8.0GB - and transfer the DVD to a folder on
your harddrive; then use kaffeine (File>Open Directory) to open the
directory where the copy of the DVD is sitting (it'll be something like
/Knight/dvd).

If k9copy has a hernia trying to copy the DVD then there is some
hanky-panky going on with the (original) DVD in which case you could
then try and see if it will play through your DVD burner - assuming that
you have one; the burner may be able to read track/s which the CDROM/DVD
player isn't able to access.

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to
try. If I mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce