Re: [opensuse] trying to figure out how to share a data drive
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 02:39:42 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-01-20 at 18:29 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:

What about filesize? FAT usually limits to two GiB...

Ah, the wikipedia says "4 GiB minus 1 byte (2³²1 bytes)". That's not
enough, a DVD iso image is larger.

Hmmm, didn't think about it from that standpoint. I thought George was
worried
about a size limit for the drive. I overlooked the file size issue. But isn't
that a file size limit that applies to some processes, but not a limit to the
actual physical file size on disk? I'm still fuzzy about that one.

I don't know why there is a file size limit; let me think. It can't be cluster count, because cluster size varies. Ahhhh! I think know why: the read functions in MsDOS will be a word, and 2³² is precisely 4 GiB. AH, reading the wikipedia article, I see more limitation places: the filesize is stored as four bytes in the directory entry (search for "file size" in the wikipedia article).

So... it is both a limitation of the filesystem and of the functions used to read it in Dos/Windows. We are stuck with it, unless they release another specification, and I think it would not be compatible with existing tools (changed directory entry format).

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
< Previous Next >