Re: [opensuse] trying to figure out how to share a data drive
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:29:23 -0600
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Monday, 2009-01-19 at 23:42 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:

the newly formatted drive again. But the question I have about that is,
isn't there a size limit to a drive formatted in FAT32? I am looking at
160 gigs or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32

FAT32

In order to overcome the volume size limit of FAT16, while still
allowing DOS
real mode code to handle the format without unnecessarily reducing the
available conventional memory, Microsoft implemented a newer
generation of FAT,
known as FAT32, with cluster values held in a 32-bit field, of which
28 bits
are used to hold the cluster number, for a maximum of approximately
268 million
(228) clusters. This allows for drive sizes of up to 8 tebibytes with
32KB
clusters, but the boot sector uses a 32-bit field for the sector count,
limiting volume size to 2 TiB on a hard disk with 512 byte sectors.

I think your covered...

What about filesize? FAT usually limits to two GiB...

Ah, the wikipedia says "4 GiB minus 1 byte (2³²1 bytes)". That's not
enough, a DVD iso image is larger.

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Hmmm, didn't think about it from that standpoint. I thought George was
worried
about a size limit for the drive. I overlooked the file size issue. But isn't
that a file size limit that applies to some processes, but not a limit to the
actual physical file size on disk? I'm still fuzzy about that one.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC