Re: [opensuse] KDE4 desktop effects, ATI
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:30:46 -0600
Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster wrote:

I already had the DRI, but not the extensions. I've added them to my
xorg.conf.

I suppose by 3D you mean hardware acceleration? That would explain why
opengl does not work.

This seems to happen every time I end up with an ATI video card. I know
people rant and rave about how terrible nVidia's Linux support is... and
I realize some of what they say is true. But in my experience, nvidia
cards just work better with Linux. Maybe I'm the odd man out on this
one, I don't know.

This is nothing compared to the HELL we went through during November 97 with
the release of 10.3. The ATI drivers have been really great from about 8-4
through 8-9. I think ATI is going through growing pains with the linux driver
to support the latest 3800 and 4800 series cards which has had the side effect
of screwing the driver up for the rest of us.

Linux is a VERY LOW priority for ATI so we will be lucky to get any attention
at all in the near future.

THE ONLY WAY THIS WILL CHANGE is if everyone who reads this message goes to
ati.com and takes the 30 seconds to set up a quick account and then OPENS A
TROUBLE TICKET and lets them know that ALL OF THESE MILLIONS of linux users
need a better driver or we will be left with NO CHOICE other than BUYING NVIDIA
cards.

If you don't take the time to do this, well -- things will not change.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC