Re: [opensuse] Firefox Java plugin misbehaving [SOLVED]
  • From: Philippe Andersson <pan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:41:23 +0100
Philippe Andersson wrote:
Hello,

For some time now (a few months), I've had problems accessing some (not
all !) java-based web servicse: the applet won't start, and the system
typically displays a high CPU load.

Originally, I linked it with the upgrade to "update10" of the Sun Java
plugin, but reverting to update9 (or even to Java1.5 for that matter)
didn't resolve the issue. I was hoping that applying update11 (I just
did) would restore the service, but it didn't either.

My setup:
- OpenSuSE 11.00, 32bit, fully patched
- Firefox 3.0.5
- java-1_6_0-sun-plugin-1.6.0.u11-0.1

Example of applets/services that work:
- iLO virtual media
- Juniper SSG5 firewall admin interface
- HP Procurve switch (5406) web-based management interface
- some silly clock applet

Example of applets/services that don't:
- iLO remote console (has been flaky since moving the FF 3, but used to
mostly work)
- Juniper Secure Access VPN (used to work fine)
- Planisware OPX2 Intranet Server (not tested before)

Java in general (i.e. locally, not through the browser) works fine.

To answer my on post (once again), this appears to be a side effect of
the "AdBlock+" Firefox plugin. It looks like the problem started when
AdBlock went from 0.9 to 1.0.

HTH

Cheers. Bye.

Ph. A.

--

*Philippe Andersson*
Unix System Administrator

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for
the recipient (s) named above. This communication is intended to be and to
remain confidential and may be protected by intellectual property rights. Any
use of the information contained herein (including but not limited to, total or
partial reproduction, communication or distribution of any form) by persons
other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited. Please notify the sender
secure or error-free. Ion Beam Applications does not accept liability for any
such errors. Thank you for your cooperation.