Re: [opensuse] KDE4 desktop effects, ATI
  • From: "Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:19:09 -0700
David C. Rankin wrote:
Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster wrote:
I'm trying to get desktop effects to work in KDE 4.1.3 (openSUSE 11.1
x86_64) and not having much luck. I'm curious if any of you have have
similar hardware and are having any luck.

<snip>
Anyone willing to take a shot at this?

Sure,

Make sure your /etc/X11/xorg.conf includes the following at the bottom

Section "DRI"
Group "video"
Mode 0660
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "true"
Option "DAMAGE" "true"
EndSection

** Also, be aware that ATI broke 3D in the 8-12 driver you installed, but
unfortunately, that is all we have until the 9-1 driver is released. Also,
performance of the 8-12 driver sucks compared to earlier versions. 8-9 is the
last good performer, but that doesn't support 11.1 :-(

I already had the DRI, but not the extensions. I've added them to my
xorg.conf.

I suppose by 3D you mean hardware acceleration? That would explain why
opengl does not work.

This seems to happen every time I end up with an ATI video card. I know
people rant and rave about how terrible nVidia's Linux support is... and
I realize some of what they say is true. But in my experience, nvidia
cards just work better with Linux. Maybe I'm the odd man out on this
one, I don't know.