Re: [opensuse] How to clean up /var/cache/zypper/RPMS ?
  • From: Jan Kupec <jkupec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:49:18 +0100

Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Sunday, 2009-01-18 at 14:13 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

I was playing a bit with kdirstat, and I noticed a directory that takes
up a lot of space:
/var/cache/zypper/RPMS
It seems to contain cached versions of rpms that I manually
downloaded&installed, for example VMware server.

I come from Ubuntu, and I still use Debian on my server, so I'm used to
a large package cache. But the Suse way to do things is different, and I
found out that package caching only happens when you explicitly enable
it in /etc/zypp/repos.d/*.repo. Otherwise the packages are always
downloaded.

What I have not yet found, is the Suse alternative for "aptitude
autoclean" delete only out-of-date package files but keep current ones.

I also would like to delete some of the VMware RPMs, because I have
played a bit with different versions, and they are quite large. How can
I clean up that cache directory? Can I just rm the unwanted files
without any negative repercussions, or what is the official Suse way to
do that?

It's a relatively new feature, but I think you can simply delete the
rpms manually.

Yes, you can.

Automatic cleaning... there is a configuration file that mighjt have
some options for this, would be worth checking.

AFAIK, we don't have anything like automatic removal of cached packages
that are out of date. Yet.

- --
cheers,
jano

Ján Kupec
YaST team
Key ID: 637EE901
Fingerprint: 93B9 C79B 2D20 51C3 800B E09B 8048 46A6 637E E901
Server: irc.freenode.net
Nick: jniq
Channels: #zypp #yast #suse #susecz