Re: [opensuse] NFS idmapping daemon, autofs problem
  • From: "james Wright" <jamfwright@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:39:54 -0500
On 1/19/09, Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster <webmaster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No, I'm not using NIS, and no, I don't have a user with ID 4294967294.
But I can SSH into the server (i.e. the box hosting the NFS
share/export) and verify that 4294967294 is not the owning UID or GID of
** any ** of the files on that share/export.

My user on the server and workstation share the same UID ... i.e. 1000.
The server shows ownership and permissions properly on the server's end
of the picture.

In fact, it appears that the permissions are being interpreted correctly
by the workstation, because files that are owned by UID 1000 can be
edited on the workstation, but files that UID 1000 does not have
permission to don't open. I think it's simply a labeling issue since
idmapd isn't running.

I've tried running the idmapd binary directly but it doesn't seem to do
anything. I know NFS has varied components and I figure I'm probably not
starting it correctly. Again, I usually just do '/etc/init.d/nfs start',
which starts idmapd... but I can't do that on opensuse 11.1.

And, in case you're wondering, I'm using sec=sys on the workstation
mount. Server = SLES 10 SP2, workstation = opensuse 11.1.

One quick question, that I assume you have done. Have you
started/restarted /etc/init.d/autofs?