Re: [opensuse] 11.1 installation problem
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:11:37 -0600
On Monday 19 January 2009 07:16:26 pm Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx> [01-19-09 20:09]:
I am not sure what the common element is in this but the computers are
a little older computers.

Any ideas?

I would suggest burning at a very low rate and/or on a different
computer, perhaps one of the ones that cannot read your present disks.

another, swap out the dvd drive for the one in the computer that
successfully read the disk.

It really sounds like a hardware problem. There have been other
reports here of the same occurances, but I cannot recall any positive
results/solutions. Someone else may :^)

I had the same, but I still have no idea what was the reason.

The DVD and 2 Live CDs will boot on my computers (desktop and laptop), but it
will fail on both friend's computers. On laptop it will not boot at all, on
older desktop it will boot and then crash. The DVD was burned 4x which is 1/4
of the maximum speed. Device buffer was almost all the time 100%, never below
90%.

Solution was to use openSUSE 11.0 retail DVD for laptop, where it installed
fine. I doubt it is a DVD, as it runs fine on 2 different computers, and iso
itself was checked with MD5 and SHA1.

I had no time to check more as installation, update, rough configuration of
laptop, then download of newer Knoppix, and its installation on desktop took
whole evening.

The desktop was kernel problem, and cure was to use older kernel. The only CD
that booted was Knoppix, so it was installed. I'll see what is going to
happen when I get chance to update that system.

--
Regards, Rajko