Re: [opensuse] How to install Google Earth? IT WORKED
  • From: Nkoli <coomac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:07:13 -0500
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 9:12 AM, George Olson <grglsn765@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Which brought up something interesting that I would appreciate a comment
or 2 on from those of you that understand all this. I noticed that even
though I downloaded and configured the new software repositories in
YaST, when I went to install the software using the software manager in
YaST, it still had to go to the internet and download more of something
or other. So what I am wondering is, when I am out on my own and not
plugged in to the internet, is any of the software I need fully
available from my 11.1 DVD (besides stuff like open office that I am
already using)? Or will I have to wait till my one hour of reconnect
time to do any installations?

When you add an internet repository, auto refresh is enabled by
default. You can disable auto refresh for each repository from the
repo manager, but if it's turned on, the repositories will be updated
each time yast software is opened. If you're not connected to the net,
I'd recommend disabling auto refresh because you'll get tons of errors
otherwise.

If you plan on installing stuff from just the dvd, you should disable
all the internet repos and leave only the dvd source enabled. That
way, you'll only see packages that are available on the dvd when you
go into the software manager.

Nkoli