Re: [opensuse] boot loader problem
  • From: Dave <diacobel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 04:13:24 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message ----
From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Dave <diacobel@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 3:48:03 AM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] boot loader problem

Hi,
do you let bootloader proposal or change somethink in yast2 bootloader?
What should work is this -
open yast2 bootloader
write grub code to MBR and let active flag for windows, as grub in MBR
ignore active flag, but generic bootcode doesn't (and that is default).
Second option which should work is add to windows entry makeactive key
(option in yast2 is Activate this Partition when selected for boot).
I hope this help, otherwise ask describe what going wrong ;)
JR

Thank you for getting back to me. Since my first post I have been able to
partially able to restore the bootloader. Using yast I ran the restore the mbr
option. This took out the Windows mbr data and allowed me to access the grub
boot menu on startup. I can boot into Linux but not into Windows 7. I have
set the active flag on the windows partiton and inserted the makeactive option
in menu.lst. The windows section in this file currently reads:

title Windows 7 Ultimate
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

When I select the Windows option from the grub boot menu the screen will go
blank for a couple of seconds and then I will be back at the grub boot menu. I
am starting to think Windows has again thrown something new into the mix that
is stopping the dual boot process. For one thing, while in Linux I cannot
access the files on the Windows partition. When I attempt to mount the
partiton from a terminal window I get the message:

Voyager:/home/dave # mount -t ntfs /dev/sdd1 /windows/C
Unexpected clusters per mft record (-1).
Failed to mount 'dev/sdd1': Invalid arguement
The device '/dev/sda1' doesn't have a valid NTFS. (even though the partition id
is set to 7 - HPFS/NTFS)

Perhaps they made good on their promise of delivering a WinFS filesystem? If
they changed the filesystem perhaps they changed the boot sequence as well?

I am leery of placing grub in the mbr. If you think doing so will make a
difference instead of just trying it to see what happens I will give a try. If
anyone else has had luck getting Windows 7 to dual boot I would love to learn
how.

Thanks,

Dave