Re: [opensuse] KDE 4.2 and screen savers.
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:41:44 +1100
Fred A. Miller wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:

Fred A. Miller wrote:

Herbert Graeber wrote:

[snip]

I had this with the previous drivers, too. I have solved this by
disabling some the first two DPMS modes and using the last on only.
Looks like the first two are not working, but changing the size of the
screensaver instead (BTW: Does that mean the 3D screen savers are still
running when DPMS turns the screen dark?).

Yes....they still run in that small window. How, this MAY help
you....hope so. In further testing, NOT all of the GL screen savers do
this all of the time. Further, they MAY work properly when one starts up
when it thinks the set time is up for it to run, but not run properly
all of the time. The same can be said if you start one from the panel.

Also, the time set for a screen saver to start doesn't appear to work,
no matter what time is set nor what screen saver is selected. I've
turned off power management on this desktop, just to make sure it wasn't
the cause of a screen saver coming starting too soon.

'Sure hope this helps.

Oh what a blessing it would be if someone could tell me how to stop oS
11.0 *AND* 11.1 in its KDE configuration - be it 3.x or 4.x - to
**STOP** blanking my desktops' (VideoSonic) LCD screens!

Every option I have tried, but the screens are made black by some damn
inferior application inbuilt by Novell into oS 11.0 and 11.1!

I agree!! For one thing, Power Saver should be an option....one that can
be removed WITHOUT dependency issues! 'Last time I tried that, I had to
leave it in.

The only way I've had any success is to it OFF and tell ALL levels to
NOT run. It works.....some of the time.

After reading your comment re Powersaver I went into YaST2 Software
Management to confirm what read to be the description of Powersave and
found it to be what I read earlier: that it is to save battery power
presumably when one is using a laptop. Because I do not have any laptops
but only use desktop computers I had left Powersave installed -- but had
uninstalled Powerdevil a while back. So, just to be sure, following your
comment above, I uninstalled Powersave (using YaST2' Software
Management) and rebooted the system. Had no problems with uninstalling
Powersave - without dependency hassles at all.

After rebooting..... all things great and small remain as before: the
damn LCD blanks out after ~10 minutes.

HOWEVER - and I noticed this earlier today after I had to do some
shopping and before uninstalling Powersave - rather than simply blank
(black) the screen the system actually was in LOCK SCREEN mode and I had
to type in my password to access the system.

This is a new development. A new feature of KDE4.2 perhaps?

[pruned]

It is a "wonder," eh? ;)

The 9th Wonder of the World I feel.

Ciao.

--
"With the portion of mankind that is above average one may speak of higher
things; with those below it, one may not."