Re: [opensuse] Strange KMail Behavior on 11.1
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:12:56 -0600
On Sunday 18 January 2009 06:33:53 pm Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Sunday January 18 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Sunday, 2009-01-18 at 15:40 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
In the end, I'm back where I started, a huge burst of I/O and the
modification times of every single .index.ids file being updated
when KMail quits. This is really quite annoying.

I also verified that what's being written does not alter the
contents, at least insofar as the checksums of each of the 258
.index.ids files are the same before and after shutting down KMail,
while every one of them has its modification time updated.

Touching a file is very fast, shouldn't be noticed; however, 258
files...? Maybe they are copied to another file? Check the inodes
before and after. Backup archive?

I'm not sure, but I don't think just touching those files would cause
the physical I/O activity I'm seeing (well, hearing). I think it's
actually writing the file with the same data it already contains.

Doesn't kde4 have a new search engine? I forgot the name, not beagle.

I'm using KDE 3.5.10 "release 21.9".

Probably by design :-P

Well, it never happened before I started using 11.1, and the
mailboxes and all configuration are the same as I was using on
10.0.

Dunno, maybe new feature.

The "do lots of stupid, redundant, noisy, obnoxious I/O when quitting
KMail" feature??

There is something that you use and I don't.
I have no much hard disk activity on exit.

It could be some program that is used by KMail and it is shutting down when
KMail exits. KWallet, spamassasin, something else.

Here:
KMail is standalone, not PIM.
I don't use encryption.
Folders are mostly mailboxes, with few toplevel maildirs.
The accounts are POP3. No IMAP.

I just checked with the index of seldom used folders.
Time was updated when I clicked on a folder to read messages, and again when I
went away.

The archive folder with 100,000 messages is some 500MB, and first read burst
is 1 second, which with disk speed 50 MB/s means it reads 50 MB at once, and
the rest takes another >30 s, with 2 short bursts of activity. Looking at
file sizes:

513,530,948 main
47,154,361 .main.index
400161 .main.index.ids
5001649 .main.index.sorted

it seems that it doesn't look in 'main', but only indexes.

Compacting above folder takes 30 seconds of HD activity, with few shorter
bursts until cursor goes back from busy to arrow. Total time is about 1'15".

--
Regards, Rajko