Re: [opensuse] Strange KMail Behavior on 11.1
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:33:53 -0800
On Sunday January 18 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Sunday, 2009-01-18 at 15:40 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
In the end, I'm back where I started, a huge burst of I/O and the
modification times of every single .index.ids file being updated
when KMail quits. This is really quite annoying.

I also verified that what's being written does not alter the
contents, at least insofar as the checksums of each of the 258
.index.ids files are the same before and after shutting down KMail,
while every one of them has its modification time updated.

Touching a file is very fast, shouldn't be noticed; however, 258
files...? Maybe they are copied to another file? Check the inodes
before and after. Backup archive?

I'm not sure, but I don't think just touching those files would cause
the physical I/O activity I'm seeing (well, hearing). I think it's
actually writing the file with the same data it already contains.

Doesn't kde4 have a new search engine? I forgot the name, not beagle.

I'm using KDE 3.5.10 "release 21.9".

Probably by design :-P

Well, it never happened before I started using 11.1, and the
mailboxes and all configuration are the same as I was using on
10.0.

Dunno, maybe new feature.

The "do lots of stupid, redundant, noisy, obnoxious I/O when quitting
KMail" feature??

--
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.