Re: [opensuse] multibooting 11.1 and windows 7
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:35:34 -0500
On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 17:51 -0500, James Knott wrote:
Felix Miata wrote:
On 2009/01/18 14:02 (GMT-0800) Dave composed:

Since my post earlier in the day, I have restored the grub menu at boot by
rewriting the master boot record using the bootloader tool in yast. I can
now boot into 11.1 but not into windows 7. I read posts on the
difficulties of dual booting vista and edited the menu.lst file as
suggested in these posts. The windows section of the menu.lst file now
read:

title Windows 7 Ultimate
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

When I attempt to boot to windows from the grub boot menu the screen goes
blank for a few seconds and then returns to the grub boot menu. The only
change being one time it is the green boot menu and the next a winter
scene boot menu.

I have been unable to locate any other suggestions on how to get this up
an running. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this?

Many times the only problem stems from using more than one partitioning tool
on the disk. I suggest starting with a clean disk, and using one and only
one
partitioning tool to completely partition prior to installing anything.

One thing I usually remember to do prior to beginning an install of Windows
is to set its primary active prior to beginning install, to reduce its
inclination to touch any more than it actually needs to during its
installation.

Another useful thing to do, is create a FAT32 partition and move the
Windows "My Documents" folder to it. This makes it easier to work on
data from either OS. I've done this with XP.

Is there a sound technical problem/reason why enabling NTFS write
ability is not recommended?