Re: [opensuse] Thunderbird - Any way to dump all messages from a folder to a single file?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:16:16 -0600
Per Jessen wrote:
David C. Rankin wrote:

I looked at [formail] and it looks like it's back to parsing on
From - starts the header and ^$ ends the header and ^$^$ ends the
message. Probably get more control this way anyway ;-)

To have formail extract all 'From:' addresses from a Thunderbird mailbox
file:

formail <mailbox -s formail -x From:

To remove all headers and just dump the body of each mail:

formail <mailbox -s formail -I ""

/Per

<whack! -- hits self for missing it, but gives self a pass for unclear docs>

Per,

I read the man page start to end and I didn't get that at all. I'm glad
it's
there, but I sure didn't read that from the man page. To wit:

formail [+skip] [-total] [-bczfrktedqBY] [-p prefix]
[-D maxlen idcache]
[-l folder]
[-x headerfield] [-X headerfield]
[-a headerfield] [-A headerfield]
[-i headerfield] [-I headerfield]
[-u headerfield] [-U headerfield]
[-R oldfield newfield]
[-n [maxprocs ]] [-m minfields] [-s [command [arg ...]]]

-s The input will be split up into separate mail messages, and piped into a
program one by one (a new program is started for every part). -s has to be the
last option specified, the first argument following it is expected to be the
name of a program, any other arguments will be passed along to it. If you omit
the program, then formail will simply concatenate the split mails on stdout
again. See FILENO.

-i headerfield Same as -A, except that any existing similar fields are renamed
by prepending an ``Old-'' prefix. If headerfield consists only of a field-name,
it will not be appended.

-I headerfield Same as -i, except that any existing similar fields are simply
removed. If headerfield consists only of a field-name, it effectively deletes
the field.

Thanks for pointing that out for me.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.