Re: [opensuse] Konqueror and Dolphin slow start up
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 17:22:39 -0500
Rajko M. said the following on 01/17/2009 04:05 PM:

On Saturday 17 January 2009 07:55:23 am Anton Aylward wrote:
It seems another side effect of my wipe-and-install is that Kinqueror
and Dolphin have a show start-up.

The window frame appears but it takes more than 10 seconds before the
contents appears.

There is a siiliar delay if I select an icon and go via Properties to
change the icon, the colour of the folder, for example.

Since is seems to be local to me, I'm sure its a config issue and not a
real bug, but I don't have some other reference to check against, so I'd
welcome suggestions as to where to look

It can be a graphic driver.
I just used Dolphin from KDE3 and it worked fine, while from KDE4 is not that
fast. Though, it is not 10 s to start.

Second reason might be time needed to load libraries.
The first start was slow, but after that it is like any other program.

No, that's not the case here. Not only with starting Konqueror but also
with the
folder -> properties -> change icon -> browse
done on a second folder right after the first.
There's plenty of memory and plenty of disk bandwidth. Other tools like
sysinfo:/ tell me that I'm not swapping and I have memory 'slack'.

I don't see ow it can be a graphic driver; all the other graphic
activity, all the other applications are blindingly fast.
--
Life is about Change, whether good or bad, and being able to adjust
accordingly.