Re: [opensuse] Strange KMail Behavior on 11.1
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:46:07 -0800
On Tuesday January 13 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

When I created my new openSUSE 11.1 installation, I did everything
from scratch including a brand new home directory with one exception.
I transferred all my KMail files (both ~/Mail—yes the old location
for mail files) and the various settings files.

Everything went surprisingly well with this but since the very first
run of KMail with those transplanted files, I've noticed one odd
symptom: Every time I quit KMail (not just close its window(s), but
actually quit the application), there's a huge burst of I/O, as
evidenced by a buzz from the many rapid seeks of the drive holding my
home directory. This lasts about a second or so (it's a 10,000 RPM
Ultra-160 SCSI drive, so that represents a lot of I/O).

Can anybody shed any light on what is being done and how, hopefully,
I can stop that from happening? It never did that under 10.0.

I've discovered what this huge burst of I/O is when quitting KMail. By
using the "-mmin" option of find, it's clear that every ".index.ids"
file in the mail storage folder (~/Mail, old-style) is being written
when KMail quits.

I also notice that while KMail is running, they're being updated
selectively (apparently when a mailbox associated with the .index.ids
file gets new mail) but nonetheless, when KMail quits, they're all
written again, whether or not any new mail was deposited into them by
KMail while it was running.

Furthermore, it appears that merely opening / viewing a mailbox in KMail
will cause the corresponding .index.ids file to be touched.

I don't know what these .index.ids files are used for, but for some
reason, KMail is writing to them all unconditionally when it shuts
down.

I wonder if simply removing these .index.ids files might cause KMail to
regenerate them and in doing so eliminate this behavior?

Randall Schulz