Re: [opensuse] Creating bootable iso
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:23:21 +0000

Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Thursday, 2009-01-15 at 22:04 +1000, John Bennett wrote:

Just wondering how to create a bootable iso file from a bootable cd..?
Not as simple as using mkisofs -o output.iso . ?
I am trying to create a bootable iso file from a bootable CD, to install
an OS in VMWare..

As simple as using dd.

dd if=/dev/dvd of=image.iso

assuming you already have a bootable dvd, yes.

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Ummm maybe not...

Did not reply earlier I am in the middle of doing some tests comparing
dd with readom. (Apparently the wodim replacement for cdread, see man
readom).

The command

dd if=/dev/dvd of=image.iso

works if and only if the cd you are copying from is absolutely
pristine.. if there any problems with the media it will bork..

dd if=/dev/dvd of=image.iso conv=noerror

will not bork if the media is poor but the image may be a bit mangled.
(it seems to loose some data so one does not get a complete image)...
there does not seem to be an obvious switch to handle this..

readom -dev=/dev/dvd -f=image.iso

will also bork on error but gives more info on what is going on, and
seems to try a bit harder at reading dodgy sectors.

readom -dev=/dev/dvd =f=image.iso -noerror

will create a complete DVD/CD image including some of the dodgy
bits...which on occasion can be still useful...

BTW the -s switch is useful to suppress the SCSI error messages if the
DVD/CD is of poor quality.

However both will create an image of the complete DVD, not just the bits
that are used. Which means you should get a 4.7Gb/600-800Mb image
whatever happens. Which is probably not good news if you only need part
of a poor quality DVD/CD.

I am investigating this further over the next few days... readom may by
default be a bit over sensitive and one may need to do a little tuning
particularly on read speed settings....

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup