Re: [opensuse] Zypper hang
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 23:03:47 -0600
Josef Wolf wrote:
Hello,

I am running "zypper -n -q refresh" regularly from a cron job. This was
working fine in the last couple of weeks. But yesterday, it just got
stuck. Today, I noticed that it was hanging for about 20 hours, eating
all the available CPU. It also filled all my /var partition with a
16GB logfile. Then I killed it (twice). The only output was:

Timeout exceed

OK OK! Exiting immediately...

Josef,

I had the same problem all yesterday as well. I think there was a broken
update mirror site that was screwing things up. The easiest way to solve the
problem was just to add a specific mirror as your update source and disable the
normal update repository (the main redirector mirror).

For example:

zypper ar http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/opensuse/update/11.1/
update-nluug

zypper mr -r update-nluug

zypper mr -d openSUSE-11.0-Updates

Then retry and I bet all is good. (of course make sure you can reach the
mirror you choose)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC