Re: [opensuse] Where is FORCE_PERSISTENT_NAMES ?
  • From: Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:02:10 +0000
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Friday, 2009-01-16 at 11:55 -0000, Rui Santos wrote:

Changed to bottom post, interleaved, as adequate for this list.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

I don't think you need that now :-q?

What do you mean by that ?
With openSUSE 11.1, I do not know how to disable the persistent NIC
names. The only way I have to circumvent that is the delete the relevant
lines at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, but I do not want to
do that on 1.000+ machines...
If I do not do so, all machines I deploy will expect that MAC
address on eth0 and their own NIC will be renamed to eth1. That is the
behavior I want avoid.

The purpose of that setting was to solve a problem we had several
versions ago, where the names like eth0, eth1 were almost random, and
the same card could get a different name on every boot. But now this
doesn't happen, eth0 is always eth0, so there is no need for it. The
name is persistent, AFAIK.

And the configuration of the eth is not related to the MAC at all -
see mine:

BOOTPROTO='static'
BROADCAST=''
ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
IPADDR='192.168.1.12/24'
MTU=''
NAME='RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+'
NETMASK=''
NETWORK=''
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='auto'
USERCONTROL='no'

If your using openSUSE 10.3 or earlier, you could see a file
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules witch defines the name for
each MAC address. This is usualy Ok, since most people do not
want/have/plug different NIC's either as USB,PCI, etc...

You can duplicate this behavior by trying the following ( I assume you
already have a NIC ):
1) Add an extra NIC -> It will be eth1
2) Remove the NIC on 1), add another NIC -> It will eth2 although eth1
is not present. So you'll end up with eth0 and eth2.

Since the deploy will end up on several openSUSE machines, I would
always end up with eth1 only NIC, although eth0 has not there any more

If you read my [SOLVED] message, you can check the referred files to
check it out.

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
Rui