Re: [opensuse] 11.1+kde3.5 suspend to disk fails sometimes
  • From: Dave Plater <dave.plater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:37:00 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Thursday, 2009-01-15 at 22:05 +0100, Günter Dannoritzer wrote:

I have a problem with my openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 installation that
sometimes the suspend to disk function does not work. When I initiate
it, the screen saver comes up and the computer behaves like it just got
looked. When I login again, there is a window in kde saying that the
suspend failed.

Change this in /etc/suspend.conf:

## use splash picture? (default y)
splash = n

This way the splash screen in dissabled and you see the messages as
the procedure tries to suspend. Then, you have a log in
/var/log/pm-suspend.log, and you can change the level of verbosity of
the log:

#suspend loglevel = 2
#max loglevel =

Increase the number (I don't know the range). Also, you should have a
look at the standard log (/var/log/messages).

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

To add to the above, I use suspend to disk from kde3.5 on 11.1 but with
32 bit system, all the time. I disabled the splash screen long ago
because it never displayed properly. I have no problem at all with
suspend except after resume kde displays the suspend failed message box
despite the fact that suspend and resume worked fine.
I also get "Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files"
message in my pm-suspend.log but with no actual errors. I very rarely
have to rcsquid restart to get my local proxy to work after resume.
Regards
Dave P