Re: [opensuse] Perhaps <OT>: Visual Basic into MONO
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:05:17 -0600
On Thursday 2009 January 15 04:38:31 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Perhaps this is off topic. Does anyone on this list have experience with
importing MS Visual Basic 6 code into MONO? I have been asked by an
engineer about getting it into MS .NET, and I suggested that since a
change was going to happen, why not explore MONO as well. Should I hide
behind my desk? I confess to having zip VB experience. I am a C/asm/Tcl
type.

There was/is a migration tool available from MS to rewrite VB 6 code as
VB.Net. Unfortunately, it's not very good. If you run it against programs
of any complexity you either get code that won't compile (syntax error) OR
you get code that has many more bugs (runtime errors).

So, if you are going to move from VB 6 to VB.Net, it is a great time to move
to mono, clean up the code, and re-architect applications or whole
systems 'cause you are in for a complete re-write. That's not a bad thing,
but does require significantly more resources than, e.g., the VB 5 to VB 6
move and you need to manage the project well enough to avoid Second System
Syndrome.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))