Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 07:39:20 -0500
Rodney Baker wrote:
On Thursday 15 January 2009 19:08:43 Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
[...]

Suppose you are on the road, and you have your usb stick with some
precious documents. You urgently want to print something, so you'll want
to plug in the stick somewhere, mount it r/o, pipe the file to lpr and be
done with it.
However, on every "user friendly" distribution there are all kinds of
windows that pop up when you plug in the usb stick, but none of them is a
shell prompt. Worst of all, you notice that your stick is already mounted
read/write! This is on an unknown system that you know nothing about. It
might as well wipe your stick, or install a rootkit on it. How are you
ever going to know what the userfriendly police is doing behind your back?

That is why decent USB memory sticks have a write-protect switch on them;
regardless of how the system tries to mount it, if the write protect switch
is
set the write line should be disabled and nothing should be able to write to
it...

Unfortunately, most don't. I have only one with a write protect
switch. I have picked up a virus from one of my customers, when I went
to install some software on their computer. Also, the disabled USB
ports can be a problem. At another customer, where I was supposed to
install the software, the USB ports were disabled as was IE and they had
no other browser. So, I had no way to install the software they needed,
to configure the system I had installed.