Re: [opensuse] ATI Driver Surprise
  • From: clarkt@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 05:28:19 -0700 (MST)
On Wednesday 14 January 2009 11:54:17 am Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Wednesday January 14 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Wednesday January 14 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

When I completed my initial openSUSE 11.1 installation I was
surprised to see that I had an ATI driver installed. ...

Not directly relevant, but right after posting that message, I looked
again at the YaST Additional Package Repositories page
(<http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories>) and noticed that now
there are ATI driver packages for 11.1.

To quote our Homeric Hero: Woo-Hoo!

Alas, premature and irrational exuberance. I installed this driver and
now have no 3D at all. And while sysinfo:/ shows this:

Display Info
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Model: ATI RADEON 9600 Series (RV350/RV360 4152)
Driver: Unknown

flg_glxgears and glxgears yield this:

% fgl_glxgears
Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such
operation) Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request: 14

% glxgears
X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such
operation) Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request: 14

Stellarium and Celestia now hang at start-up and have to be killed.

In the 64 bit install, there is a problem with the 32 bit fglrx_dri.so.
You can go to /usr/lib/dri and rename the current fglrx_dri.so and then
ln -s /usr/lib64/dri/fglrx_dri.so /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so

This got the fglrx driver working for me.