Re: [opensuse] ATI Driver Surprise
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:16:48 -0800

To quote our Homeric Hero: Woo-Hoo!

Alas, premature and irrational exuberance. I installed this driver
and now have no 3D at all. And while sysinfo:/ shows this:

Stellarium and Celestia now hang at start-up and have to be killed.

Randall Schulz

Hi Randall

Have you checked Xorg.0.log i had this on the laptop running 11.1 and
ATI video using fglrx it was a lib problem cant remember exactly
whic one aint got the lappy runninmg right now .

maybe not the right way to fix the problem but i ended up making a
symlink to the correct lib location ..

I ran "aticonfig", after which things work.

Sadly, the FPS for glxgears is significantly worse than it was with the
driver that comes bundled with openSUSE 11.1. Oddly enough, though,
Stellarium reports a much higher FPS than it did under the previous
driver. Celestia seems faster, too, but I don't see an option to enable
an FPS display in that app, so I have only a subjective sense based on
just a little prior use.

I guess I'll install Google Earth and see how that behaves. It's the
thing (besides Second Life) for which I have the best feel for 3D
performance.

HTH

Pete .

Randall Schulz