Re: [opensuse] ATI Driver Surprise
  • From: peter nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:42:54 +0000
On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Wednesday January 14 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Wednesday January 14 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

When I completed my initial openSUSE 11.1 installation I was
surprised to see that I had an ATI driver installed. ...

Not directly relevant, but right after posting that message, I looked
again at the YaST Additional Package Repositories page
(<http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories>) and noticed that now
there are ATI driver packages for 11.1.

To quote our Homeric Hero: Woo-Hoo!

Alas, premature and irrational exuberance. I installed this driver and
now have no 3D at all. And while sysinfo:/ shows this:

Display Info
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Model: ATI RADEON 9600 Series (RV350/RV360 4152)
Driver: Unknown

flg_glxgears and glxgears yield this:

% fgl_glxgears
Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such
operation) Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request: 14

% glxgears
X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such
operation) Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request: 14

Stellarium and Celestia now hang at start-up and have to be killed.

Randall Schulz

Hi Randall

Have you checked Xorg.0.log i had this on the laptop running 11.1 and ATI
video using fglrx it was a lib problem cant remember exactly whic one aint
got the lappy runninmg right now .

maybe not the right way to fix the problem but i ended up making a symlink to
the correct lib location ..

HTH

Pete .

--
SuSE Linux 10.3-Alpha3. (Linux is like a wigwam - no Gates, no Windows, and an
Apache inside.)