[opensuse] ATI Driver Surprise
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:16:00 -0800
Hi,

When I completed my initial openSUSE 11.1 installation I was surprised
to see that I had an ATI driver installed. According to the Konqueror
sysinfo:/ display, it is:

Display Info
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Model: RV350 AR
Driver: radeon (3D Support)

(Not a high-end card by today's standards, but glxgears indicates about
2500 FPS.)

Where did this driver come from? I have a friend who did an openSUSE
11.1 install on a Dell Optiplex 755 with an ATI Radeon (specific model
unknown to me at the moment, but it's one of these: ATI Radeon X1300,
ATI Radeon™ HD 2400 PRO or ATI Radeon™ HD 2400 XT) and he didn't get a
3D driver.

So the questions I have are:

1) Where did my driver come from?
2) Why didn't my friend's installation yield an ATI driver?

Randall Schulz