Re: [opensuse] wifi device and modules
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:14:29 -0600
On Wednesday 14 January 2009, r <r.trev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
about '[opensuse] wifi device and modules':
if I blacklist wifi modules ( ath5k and ath_pci and maybe ath_hal ) is
the wifi device switched on anyway without be usable ( unitil I modprobe
modules ) ???

The point is. Does it sucks battery energy in any case ?

PCI devices will run at full power until the OS tells them to enter a sleep
mode.[1] Linux will not communicate with a device without its module.[2]
So, those devices will probably draw *more* battery until you load the
module, at which point, if the device is unused, Linux can put it to
sleep.[3]
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))

[1] Not completely true. They power up enough to be ready for any standard
request though.

[2] Not completely true. Devices are asked to identify themselves in order
to determine which module to load.

[3] Assuming that device/module combination was sleep features.