Re: [opensuse] Correct Way to Recursively Change Permissions
  • From: "Henare Degan" <henare.degan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:58:27 +1100
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:42, Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxx> wrote:
find /path/of/directory -type f -exec chmod 600 {} +

Thanks very much to everyone that responded. I always thought there
was an option of chmod (or similar) that did not change the 'x' bit on
directories but I guess not.

I found Cristian's solution the most elegant (I even learnt a bit more
about the -exec option of find, after bothering to read the man page
to understand what the curly braces and plus did at the end of the
command).

Randall, using the symbolic mode versus numeric mode doesn't change
how the command affects directories versus files (although I may have
missed the point you were making in your mail ;)

Thanks again everyone,