Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:33:53 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-01-13 at 09:37 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

Interesting. I always thought "noauto" only applied to the "mount -a"
(including the mounting that occurs during system boot). But I see that
it does inhibit automounting via HAL / udev / whatever.

Yes, but it is up to the desktop entirely, I understand. I mean, they choose not to automount if there is an fstab entry. In my gnome, I see a peak of cpu activity, but it is not mounted.

Which is lucky for us :-)

Maybe, if you leave the keyword as "auto" it mounts in the place specified in fstab, and with those options. It would make sense.

Oddly enough, I still get the KDE dialogs asking me what I want to do
when the device comes on-line, even though it doesn't get mounted
automatically.

It is something. Maybe you can find somewhere in the kde control panel something about this behavior.

heh, the window is a signal for you that the device has indeed been recognized, and you can proceed with the manual mount.

Well, that's the important part of what I wanted. No auto-mounting.

Thanks.

Welcome :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.