Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:37:51 -0800
On Tuesday January 13 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Tuesday, 2009-01-13 at 08:17 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
Maybe I should go back to my original question:

On Monday January 12 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:
So what are the relevant subsystems, commands and configuration
files I need to learn about to get manual mounting for select
external drives and partitions?

Or, to rephrase it a bit, what do I have to learn about to
understand how automounting is controlled and configured in
openSUSE 11.1?

It is controlled by the desktop. Hal and udev detects the new device,
give it a device node, and report to the desktop (don't ask me how, I
don't know myself).

(there is a thing called "dbus" which I think is involved in the
mechanism)

To prove if I'm correct or not, we could log out of the desktop,
login text mode only, and plug a usb disk. If it is mounted, it is
not the desktop.

I think that, if the device is listed in fstab as "noauto" there is
the convention not to mount it automatically.

[...]

damm, no... I tried one and it appeared.

[...]

Ah, yes, it works. The thing is that the device that previously
appeared as:

I changed the line in fstab, re-plugged the device, and gnome ignored
it, was not mounted automatically.

Interesting. I always thought "noauto" only applied to the "mount -a"
(including the mounting that occurs during system boot). But I see that
it does inhibit automounting via HAL / udev / whatever.

Oddly enough, I still get the KDE dialogs asking me what I want to do
when the device comes on-line, even though it doesn't get mounted
automatically.

Well, that's the important part of what I wanted. No auto-mounting.

Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.