Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:26:30 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-01-13 at 07:01 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

I do this by making sure the external filesystem has a label....

I do everything by-label nowadays (except swap, of course).

Ah. Pity, by the way.

ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/

All this information misses my point (which I acknowledge is my fault
for not being more precise—and here I think I'm too wordy...)

I need to stop / impede / inhibit / prevent the automatic mounting that
now occurs for all external drives and media.

I see...

Yes, I also dislike automounting. Well the above method works for me in 11.0, because there is an fstab line with "noauto", and it appears to work. I't worked in factory, so I think it should work in 11.1. At least it works with the gnome desktop - if it doesn't work with kde 4, report it; if it doesn't work with kde 3, suffer it :-p

The alternative is to dissable the automount feature in your desktop, for your user. It should be somewhere in the control panel, though in Gnome it has dissapeared and we have to use gconf-editor directly. But you used kde, I think, so it should be there.

However, I don't like dissabling the automount entirely, for those cases when somebody comes with their usb disk.

HTH.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >