Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 07:07:32 -0800
On Tuesday January 13 2009, auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

I have a situation where I want the opposite of Josef Wolf
(openSUSE list thread with Subject: "How to mount external drives
automatically?" starting on Jan. 9, 2009).

I'm running openSUSE 11.1 (the inability of 10.0 to properly access
the FireWire bus on my system was the straw that broke the upgrade
camel's back).

Firewire works fine in 11.1; I read somewhere that the new firewire
stack, which isn't enabled in 11.1, doubles disk throughput.

Yes, I've already confirmed that the FireWire hardware is properly
handled and my external drive can be accessed without apparent
difficulty on 11.1.

So what are the relevant subsystems, commands and configuration
files I need to learn about to get manual mounting for select
external drives and partitions?

I use the following for my backup disk:

UDI="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_[UUID]"
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal $UDI \
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Mount
string:mount_point=[MOUNT POINT] string:fstype=ext3
array:string:extra_options=""

Replace the [UUID] with the UUID of the partition you want to mount,
and [MOUNT POINT] with the mount point to be created in /media.
Filesystems other than ext3 may require different options/have
different defaults for extra_options.

For the record, this is an XFS volume. (Well, actually there's an HFS
Plus volume on that drive, too, but I'm interested in the XFS volume at
the moment.)

If I understand that correctly (and I'm just guessing from the option
names), this will change the default mount-point to be a directory of
my choosing rather than the default that it's now using, which
is /media/<VolumeLabel>.

Anyway, that's good to know, but it leaves more questions:

- Is this a permanent configuration change, or must it be done every
time the system boots?

- Does it (as I suspect) retain the auto-mounting behavior? I want to
inhibit that, too (making the mount-point selection aspect moot, I
know).

Hope this helps.

We're getting there.

Peter