Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: "Larry Stotler" <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:33:19 -0500
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, but you mention both 11.1 and 10.0, and mention that the upgrade
broke... so I don't know if you are still on 10.0 or you managed to upgrade
to 11.1

He said he upgraded to 11.1 because he couldn't use his firewire drive
with 10.0.....

My English is not that good, you know, it is 2 AM here, and I'm a bit
sleepy. So humour me: what version are you interested in?

It's 8:30am here and I'm not one to use Coffee as a jump start for my
day, so I can sympathize. Don't get me started on my Spanish. My
accent's horrible..... :-)

Anyway, he was asking about mounting manually under 11.1. I'll go
with CLI and not GUI:

I'm not sure what he's trying to do. However, I think he just needs
to use "dmesg | tail" to see what the external drive comes up as like
/dev/sdb or sdc, and then he just needs to use:

mkdir /mount/firewire (or whatever)
mount /dev/sdxx /mount/firewire

the sdxx being the drive and the partition of the drive.

Randall, in 11.1, pretty much all drives are not considered SCSI. So,
if you have a 100GB drive that was /dev/hda on 10.0 as root, it will
probably be /dev/sda on 11.1.

Optical are /dev/sr0 again.(although I did add 2 IDE DVDs recently and
they came up as hda and hdb this time instead of sr1 and sr2 as
before(or technically sr0 and sr1 since the SATA drive was moved to