Re: [opensuse] Problems with opensuse 10.2 Ext3 file system
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:19:15 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2009-01-11 at 21:19 -0900, Lee Ross wrote:

/dev/sda8 is mounted. e2fsck: cannot continue, aborting.

fsck.ext3 /dev/sda8 failed (staus 0X8). Run manually!

At this point I tried to run fsck.ext /dev/sda8 but it doesn't seem to work and it just keeps sending me back to the same start point of the boot. Am I running this fsck program correctly? According to my Beginners Guide to Linux Administration, I navigate to the /etc directory, type in fsck.ext3 /dev/sda8 and hit the enter key. Is this correct? After doing this I do a Control-D to reboot but it keeps taking me back to the same place as before.

This is all done in Maintenance mode where you cannot shutdown or reboot in the conventional manner.

I'm lost at this point.............What other info do I need to offer?

Well, you can run the fsck booting the DVD in rescue mode system (a small linux). That way root is not mounted and should not complain.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.