Re: [opensuse] BuildService and freedom? (was: How to compile for i86 on a x64 machine?)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:15:46 +0100
On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 13:57 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

But... but it is a public service, you have to request an account or
something, maybe justify what you want it for, maintain that package for
others to download... I don't see it. I don't see how the OBS can be of
use for a private user that is compiling something for his private use.

Perhaps they have posted instructions on what a user has to do to use the
OBS for his private compilations?

Perhaps the idea is that it is not much more work to use the OBS to make
your package. And, in doing so, you have benefited others who may also
want the package.

And perhaps, if what I want to recompile is xine with decss support, it
would be pulled down >:-)

Of course any public place will not allow potential copyright/patent
infringement. But, in the grand scheme of things, such things are in the
minority. Most packages are rather straight forward.

Since the build service has the concept of a -devel rpm, it does make it
easier to get the bits for your platform your package depends on that do
not have copyright and such issues without having to compile all of them
yourself.

So, you could (1) use the packages in the build service to obtain a
commonly used set of runtime and -devel RPMs that all on your platform
can also access/use from the OBS. (2) compile on your system only your
bits into your special RPM that lists the common things in the OBS as
dependencies. (3) make only that special RPM available in some secret
fashion - letting all users of it use the common parts from the OBS for
the rest of the dependencies.

Of course, that is a use of the OBS that does not benefit the OBS
itself. But you could choose to help maintain the copyright/patent-free
common parts on the OBS that your package depends on.

Roger