Re: [opensuse] BuildService and freedom? (was: How to compile for i86 on a x64 machine?)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 01:45:09 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2009-01-12 at 18:00 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:

No, I believe there is value in your thinking. I want to be able to build
packages from source without access to the OBS, even if I can't think of a
good reason I'd need to right now.

In theory you can get the OBS source and setup your own OBS at your
company. Or Redhat could, or OSDL could, etc.

So for the major players it is not a big concern I don't think. And
for the end-users who just need to compile something and get on with
their life, the OBS is also a good idea.

I don't understand this paragraph. Why would it be more interesting for, say, me (an end user) to build something for use on my computer only, on the OBS, instead of using the traditional configure, make, make install route locally?

I ask because I don't know, not because I'd like to polemize.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.