Re: [opensuse] Howto Consolidate/Change which /boot/grub gets booted first?
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:35:41 +0100
David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

I have an 11.0 server with RAID1 that I added a spare 500G drive to in
order
to load 11.1 on the new drive. The 11.1 install created a new
/boot/grub/menu.lst and attempted to add an entry to boot the 11.0 install.
Now
grub boots the 11.1 install (on sdc1) and then if selected will boot 11.0 on
dm-2 (sda5 + sdb5). I now want to remove sdc from the system leaving the
original 11.0 install. How do I tell grub to boot the 11.0 install first
instead of booting from sdc so that when I remove the drive I'm not left
unable
to boot?

Even if I wasn't removing sdc, I would still like to know how to make
grub
boot from my original /boot instead of the last installed /boot. Can somebody
point me in the right direction to get this fixed? Thanks.

It is not so easy. It depends on one think. What is your primary boot disk?
If it is sdc, then after remove it primary boot disc became sda and if
you doesn't change that MBR you normally boot 11.0.
If it is sda, then it depends what is in MBR of disc. I think it is GRUB
stage1 code...so what you must done is point that stage to your 11.0
/boot instead of 11.1...easiest way is boot to 11.0 and look what you
ahve in /etc/grub.conf and if it is setup 'path to stage1' (hd0)
(hd0,somehink) that you can easily run grub-install (it run as batch
/etc/grub.conf) (I would like say, that suse doesn't have normal
grub-install but specified version). If you have at first place anythink
different then (hd0), then rewrite it to (hd0) and run grub-install.
I hope I describe it clear...and don't forget add entry for 11.1 to your
11.0 menu.
JR