Re: [opensuse] is avahi mandatory
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:03:09 -0500
Carlos E. R. said the following on 01/11/2009 10:59 AM:

On Sunday, 2009-01-11 at 16:41 +0100, jdd wrote:

Hello,
I just noted that avahi-daemon is taking 50% of my cpu.

Is it harmless to remove this? I have no direct use of zeronconf as
each time it got in the way it was to do stupid things (like setting
unexistent interface)

rcavahi-dnsconfd stop
chkconfig avahi-daemon off

do that and try for some days. I did, and so far, I didn't notice
anything. I didn't have cpu problems, as far as I can remember, but I
don't need it.

but I don't know the dependencies

If I take away libavahi-client3 I also loose Thunderbird

YAST - software managemnt has a "depends on" box.
Using that I find I would also loose

gnome-vfs - which a lot of my Java applications seem to depend on
OUCH!
gstreamer - and that takes out a lot of multimedia
libdns_sd - which in turn cripples things like k3b, cups,
dekorator, kaffine, NetworkManager, compiz-kde

Somewhere in there is also a few plugins for Thunderbird and Firefox and
also acroread.

I'd love to do without the gnome stuff but that doens't look likely.

--
People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. . . The leader
works in the open, and the boss in covert. The leader leads, and the