Re: [opensuse] Installing openSuSE v11.1 on T21 -- Revisited
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:17:56 +0200
At 12:42:59 on Sunday Sunday 11 January 2009, Joe Morris
<Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/11/2009 06:14 PM, Stan Goodman wrote:
At this stage, I am asking for advice on how I can identify the video
system. After I look into later driver releases, I may be back to ask
other questions.

Try hwinfo --gfxcard (or if a regular user, /usr/sbin/hwinfo --gfxcard

It's very easy to be root in a Rescue boot, because no password is
requested (username: root).

hwinfo --gfxcard tells me that the card is "Savage IX/MV, revision 0x13".
DriverInfo tells me that the server module is "savage", and there is an
option: ShadowStatus".

I have visited the S3 website (s3graphics.com), and find that "savage"
drivers are grouped in a list under "Legacy" (a Politically Correct term
meaning "Archeological"). Some of them are even for Linux (which is
apparently what IX means, although that is not stated), but there is no
obvious way for non-employees of S3 to identify which, if any, are
plausible replacements of the one I have. Since what I have is what the
installation chose as best, I am inclined to believe that there is none.

I've dropped an email to S3, and asked for any other information, but I am
not optimistic.

If nobody can suggest anything else, the choices before me are either a)
to replace my laptom with something newer, or b) put OS/2 back on it and
forget abouit carrying Linux with me in my travels.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on