[opensuse] Two 11.1 Installation Problems
  • From: dilogsys@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 09:56:19 +0200
Hello Folks!

Both of these questions were addressed at various times on the list over the
last few months - but I have no choice but to raise them again. I am not even
writing from my normal Linux box - which is not in the best of health.

Environment: openSUSE 11.1 + KDE 4.1 (with a few adjustments), fresh install
using clean partitions.

Problem 1: After the first boot, the installation completed using yast in text
mode. That was not so terrible, but after logging on for normal use, yast2
refused to run in GUI mode; the command line error message was "qt GUI missing"
- No missing shared lib name given. Does anyone have a solution for this?

I regard the yast2 tool as the major system management tool bar none,
which differentiates openSUSE from the rest of the pack. I hope that
there is a simple solution to this other than - re-install.

Problem 2: Midnight commander refuses to come up at all. It just hangs. I
checked it by opening a full screen text mode session - it didn't work there
either. I found nothing helpful in man mc. Again, any takers on this one?

mc is my most heavily used text mode management tool, so I've really ground to
a halt.

Thanks,

Daniel